Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, December 5, 2014

Sending Love to Spencer

I was afraid that my post festival report would center around the fact that I was battling a horrible cold and that the opening day weather was either off-shore gusts of wind or rain.  But you know, just when you almost wish you could be anywhere else but where you are, sometimes something happens to change your entire perspective.  And thus begins my story.  First a quick peek at the show:



My hardworking husband, Bob, and a fellow painter, Kathy, helped me with the tent set up late on Friday afternoon...if we did this more than once a year we might shave some time off the ordeal!  Kathy had a good eye for hanging and you note to the far left the beginning of what was my (required) show demo throughout the weekend.


The weather was really nasty on Friday but folks still came out, those that did were really interested in the art and spent a lot of time carefully looking and asking questions.  This photo is a street scene from the following day when the skies cleared and many more folks took advantage of the improved weather.

As I mentioned, I was feeling less than stellar and, despite many friends pitching in to help, I really just wanted to be home in bed.  Eventually I abandoned my demo work and put my chair in the street where I could watch folks in my booth and be available.  It was fun to observe what drew in different people and what got the most pauses.  And I did get some interesting questions.  When I was certain my watch was broken (time moved so slowly) I spotted a fellow about 15 years old walking towards my tent with purpose.  He had his Mom (I think) and a younger fellow with him.  I watched as he directed them to the heron painting, "Everglades Sentinel," and began talking to them.  (Next year I need hidden mics.) Then he reached into his pocket and pulled out a ribbon and carefully affixed it to the frame.  They took a final glance and turned to leave.  I caught his eye and his smile and motioned to him.  "Hey," I said, "I have no idea what that ribbon says but I do know that you, kind sir, just made my weekend."  He grinned and they left.


I have no idea who Spencer is or what made this fellow do this...I almost don't want to know because I have so enjoyed replaying the story and savoring the sweetness of it all.  But it did make my weekend, it suddenly was worth every bit of energy invested!

Spencer's Award has inspired me...and I hope you, to be more generous with my "awards" (i.e. my compliments) at shows such as this.  Heck, I have even thought about having some ribbons of my own made up....just for random acts of kindness.  It could not only go to my favorite painting but be bestowed upon the best waiter of the week, the kindest checkout clerk, the happiest fast food server....

Thank you Spencer and whatever motivated you to grace me!  Sending love back to you, I remain

Appreciatively yours,
Cindy

2 comments:

  1. How incredibly uplifting and inspiring! I love people. Especially good hearted, fun loving, generously thoughtful and purposeful people. And you deserve to have awards, Cindy! Spencer knew what he was doing! So glad you feel better!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,that was so precious! I love this and like your idea of making your own awards! God is good and there are kind people!

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.