Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, April 17, 2015

Graphic Design Puts Art in Your Life

Whether You Realize It or Not

I was struggling recently, to design a t-shirt - "you're the artist, just do something nice" - I've heard that so many times before, signs, logos, posters, you name it...if you are an "artist" you should be able to whip up a little something, right?  So WRONG.

Artists are not all created alike and if I get my wish of 9 lives I have decided that one of them will reincarnate me into a GRAPHIC artist.  You know, those folks who probably invade our lives more with their work than any other type of artist on earth.  Even in a foreign country you can spot Coke, McDonald's and Nike, right?  Because graphic art speaks a universal language, a language of symbols that, at its best, transcends the spoken word and becomes an immediate visual icon.  You recognize those product symbols because some artist took time, input and a 1000 iterations to produce that piece of art.  Talk about powerful.

Back to my t-shirt....
I was struggling, and floundering, and trying really, really hard with little success.
My son, on the other hand, seems to have a knack for this thing (with only 1 junior high art class I might add.) So I sent him my best design for instructions on how to convert to a printable piece.

"Mind if I take a try?" he replied.  Mind? I thought. mind?  thanks, have at it.

His design was, not only superior to any of mine, but a winner for saying a lot with very little....



This started me on a hunt to learn more about other graphic designs we encounter regularly...next time you see a symbol or logo study it more carefully, you may see it differently, for instance:

* do you notice a white arrow between the E and x in the FedEx logo?  no mistake for implying speed, 

* have you ever seen the party people dipping a chip into the bowl on top of the i in Tostitos logo?

* and yes, I could replicate the Amazon.com logo in a heartbeat...but only then would I recognize the subtly of the arrow going from A to Z....and smiling!!

I am thanking my son publicly, he used to design web pages so is no novice to this sort of design, but I am keeping his contact a secret....he no longer does this work and is expecting a son so he will be a tad busy, but here is a mock up of the t-shirt we ordered:



Cool, huh?

and if you want to dive a little deeper into some of the fun things designed into common logos just check out these sites:

So see? artists are coloring your world whether you realize it or not...might as well try and enjoy the nuance and messages in their designs.

GRAPHICALLY YOURS,

Cindy



1 comment:

  1. LOVE the T-shirt!!! He's amazing, indeed.
    Once had a short course on logo recognition and what I came away from it with was: No one will ever beat the Absolute (Vodka) logo & advert of merely a bottle that is recognizable world wide with NO writing whatsoever. Wishing I could be so clever as to incorporate something like that!
    Happy Bridge pedaling, Cindy! Hope it goes perfectly!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.