Join me....

I believe that art enriches and informs our lives everyday in many positive ways. Sharing those experiences, whether as an artist or as an appreciator, is part of the pleasure. I welcome your comments and hope you find something of value: a laugh, an insight, a new idea or just a happy moment. Enjoy art!

Friday, November 20, 2015

Self-Portrait Archeology

I'm peeling back layers of time and memories as I "downsize" my life in anticipation of moving to smaller digs.  My studio has been a fountain of information as I shuffle through chapters of creative paths and experiments.  I'm finding boxes of unfinished projects, ideas that never blossomed, starts I long ago abandoned.

Some of this feels good to part with, some not so much.  But as the burn pile grows, I documented a few pieces for keeping digitally. Today, a walk back in time via self portraits.  All artists are encouraged to paint "selfies" every couple of years. 


Oil, 8 x 10, geeze, I can't remember dates, but this was chronologically one of the first


Oil, 8 x 6, a la Modigliani, done as part of a group effort for the Pieces of 8 logo poster


Pastel, 20 x 16, done for a show on self portraits


Oil, 24 x 20, done for my book "She Knew"


Oil, oops, not me!


Acrylic on wood, most recent, opens (see below) as a book


Inside the book box, left, collage, me as a bossy, little girl and
Right, collage, a humbled adult still climbing the mountains of life.

I'm not a portrait painter, and if I were I might not have attempted to paint myself for fear of too much realism.  I think these were enough to capture the time and feelings of my life at different stages.  I like that they bring back memories...and while I may have left off a few wrinkles I also did not have to please a paying model!!

Digging in Color,
Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Include your comment below, will forgo the word verification part until I receive spam.